Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dayne's First ER Visit...

Just thought we'd give you a peek at our 7 Hour ER Adventure this afternoon...
.
It all started during my afternoon round of Spring Cleaning...
.
I found a bottle of Floor Cleaner that someone had mistakenly put away in the Upstairs Cleaning Closet. (It belongs in the Main Floor Cleaning Closet because I use it on the Hardwood Floor of our Front Entry.) I set it in a basket of things I was collecting at the top of the stairs and planning to put away on my next trip downstairs.
.
Big Mistake.
.
A half an hour later
(after my casual, obligatory phone call to Poison Control ended with an urgent warning),
we were met at the doors of the ER and quickly escorted to the front of the triage line.
.
Daynen was given an IV (the WORST part of the whole thing!) and a 9 ounce bottle of charcoal to drink. Thick, black, disgusting CHARCOAL!
.
.
Of course, he did not like it at all, but we were told the alternative was an intibation(?) tube straight to his stomach, so I had to beg and force him to drink it.
.

(This smile is only because Kaden is a great photographer and can be a really funny distraction.)
.
Fast forward several LONG, EXHAUSTING, HOURS full of blood tests and toxicity reports...
(Peek-a-boo around the corner of the Hospital Bed only lasted so long...
.
And then he was ready to get OUT of there!)
.

Sure, he flirted at the Nurses and smiled at the Doctors...
.
(so proud to finally get that DANG bracelet off!)...
.
even smiled for his Chest X-Ray... which he thought it was a camera...
(Hee Hee! I guess I have him well-trained!)
.
.
but let me assure you, this busy, curious boy was NOT happy to be cooped up, bored, un-napped, un-fed, poked and prodded...
.
I couldn't blame him! After a few hours, I started feeling a little irrational myself!
(Thanks to my dear and FAB-u-lous friend, Cheryl, who brought us reinforcements in the form of a sandwich and some warm milk for a bottle! Sooo appreciated! We were both starving!)
.
Moral:
ALWAYS keep your cleaning solutions up HIGH out of reach...
(really, every single second!)
.
Trust us, the anecdote is NO FUN!

11 comments:

Joey & nettifer said...

That is horrible! I can not believe that!~ I am glad that he is ok and still able to smile in those pictures! Poor little guy! That drink looks sick!

Jesicca said...

That must have been horrifying! I am so thankful all is well. It is amazing how quickly those little ones get into things. When I first saw the photos I thought he had a broken arm with a great RED cast.

sherry ward said...

SO SAD!!! I can't say this isn't all too familiar though. My younger brother was into EVERYTHING when he was this age. It didn't matter how high up everything was either! He drank Mr.Clean once!!! Sad... Even worse, he didn't get it after that, he kept doing stuff like this until... well, he's still doing stuff that isn't good! lol... I guess him and his buddies think it's hilarious or something, but come on, it's one thing when your this age, but 23... let it go!

The Haley Family said...

how scary! Glad he is okay and you survived the ER!!! Charcoal???

MiNdY said...

Oh my goodness! :( Im so glad he's okay!

Britney said...

Poor Daynen! I'm glad he is Ok! (and poor you - it's not fun having a baby in the hospital!)

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

Scary!! I'm so glad he is okay and that you all survived the hospital ordeal. It's such a challenge to keep little boys happy in those tiny exam rooms. It's amazing that he was willing to drink that stuff and even more amazing you were able to keep him happy and smiling! I have a feeling you are in for some CRAZY diapers today.

Marianna said...

Oh girlfriend! I've been there! Adri drank a bottle of Benadryl when she was 2 and had to have the charcoal tube down the throat! They had to tie her down, and made me leave the room! It was a horrible experience! I'm glad he's okay!

Jane said...

oh my gosh. Since he's OK, I would ask if his teeth are shiney like my floors?!? BUT...I'm going to quickly assume any shine his teeth had - the CHARCOAL turned black. Poor boy! Poor Mom!

Now, realizing since I chatted with you today, WHY you needed to stay home and relax!!!

I hope everyone (including MOM) got some well deserved rest!

Bennetts said...

Oh my goodness friend! That's awful! I'm glad things turned out so well despite the long hours in the ER. I love that you take the time to capture all the moments-good and bad-that happen in life.

onceapickle said...

Oh! How awful! So glad everything turned out okay. It really is true when they say that if you turn your head for just one minute and aren't watching your kids that something can happen. Dang those little curious monkey's!!!

ps- Curse those dang ER's! Such a long exhausting process...