Wednesday, December 22, 2010

HERE is a good place to be...

I know it has been forever since I've posted...
More on that another day...
But it suffices to say that it has been out of necessity...
Partly because I needed a bit of a break...
But mostly because we have just plain been busy enjoying life!
And enjoying it to it's fullest!
(And when I say FULL-est, I do not believe it is an overstatement!)
Also, {sigh}...
As unreasonable as I know it is,
I can not seem to give up this crazy notion that I somehow need to "catch up".
At this point, I know that is not realistic, so I am going to try to just jump in.
Right here.
Right now.
Right. Where. We. Are.
Because where we ARE is a good place to be.
A very good place.
~
Today I am preparing for a Family Christmas Party, here at our home.
Tonight I will see Aunts, Uncles and Cousins I have dearly missed.
And as I tidy up and primp and polish our home to prepare for guests,
my gratitude for where we ARE overflows.
~
I have six beloved stockings hanging from my mantle.
Santa will fill ALL of them in just a few short days.
And we will ALL be here to enjoy watching one another
open the gifts we have so carefully selected for one another.
I could not be more grateful.
I feel as if I might burst.
~
A pile of Christmas Cards sits anxiously next to me on my desk,
waiting for me to find the time to finish addressing the envelopes.
I will get to them... I will.
Sometime.
For now, I am content to read "The Santa Claus Book"to 4 rowdy little sets of eager ears... Again.
Oh, yes.
The cards can wait.
~
They are darling, by the way.
The cards.
I can not wait to finish sending them.
The front is a surprise.
(If I told you here, it would spoil it.)
But I will say this...
A new, current family portrait adorns the back.
I adore it.
~
~
I gush with gratitude that we are ALL together to have it taken.
To preserve the memory of the year that changed us... FOREVER.
And that, in the end, despite what has crumbled behind us,
We are still standing... Together.
~
And this might just be my favorite image in all the world today.
~
~
No further explanation needed.
~
There are 4 very sweet faces smiling up at me from the bottom of the card.
ALL of them growing, learning, thriving. HERE.
~
~
Yes, HERE is a good place to be.
Home. Together.
Listening to Christmas tunes caroling out through our intercom.
Watching the snow fall through the fog outside.
In our jammies, making soup to serve to those we love.
Who will be here to see us and visit in just a few short hours.
I can't wait!
...Guess I better go shower!
~

20 comments:

rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rebecca said...

You don't know me, but I have followed your blog since the beginning of your miracle this year. You are an amazing writer who truly writes from the heart and touches every heart who reads it. Thank you for sharing your family's experience with so many people! I am so thankful that you have ALL of your family this year to celebrate this Christmas season with. Merry Christmas! Looking back I saw familiar faces and found out that through this small world of ours, Brad Nelson was there, who is my mom, Patti's, cousin:)

Ashley Abbott said...

I am so happy you finally posted!!! My sister said she saw you the other day at Cosco! Well anyways, you don't know me, but somehow I feel like I know you! I'm so happy that you do get to fill all your stockings! Have a very merry Christmas!!

Missy said...

I, too, have followed your Amazing Story.
You have been an inspiration!
So glad you are back!

TARA WARTHEN MADSEN said...

Sara - I have waited so long for an update of your family! Wonderful to see those beautiful boys - all bright-eyed and handsome as ever! Miracles are abounding... my cousin Cheri delivered her 9th baby last month. After a very difficult delivery, little Daxton had a severe brain bleed, seizures, and 2 strokes. We all prepared to say goodbye. Daxton is strong and has angels all around him. With a brain shunt and feeding tube, he is doing remarkably well. And, like your story with Bronson, there is much hope that his brain was not affected as much as the doctors predicted - only time will tell. I am expecting my 3rd child in 2 weeks time. Not sure if it's a boy or a girl. If it's a boy, I will be the mother of three young men. I will look to mothers like you for A LOT of STRENGTH! :) XOXO Merry Christmas!

Mama Bear said...

Thanks for the update, I have thought of your family often over the past months. Glad you have been embracing each moment and beautiful Christmas card photos, I believe in miracles.

Anonymous said...

Sara--Your Christmas card made me cry. I too am so happy you are all there together. I share in your feelings. Love to you-CARRIE

Kerry and Chris said...

I've been waiting for a post, and it was definately worth the wait! The picture captions say it all! Happy Happy Happy Holidays to your sweet Family, ALL of you! May the Lord continue to bless you....

Anonymous said...

I used to read your blog all the time, I'm so glad you updated! Merry Christmas!

{jane} said...

so, i am very happy you are THERE, because it is a good place to be. together.

however, i keep wishing you were HERE, together, because it's a good place to be, too.

{sigh} maybe next year.

big hugs to each of my stakers...much love & feliz navidad!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for updating, you are so inspiring and you have such a beautiful family! It is fun reading your posts!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your blogging again. I love your posts, they are so inspiring!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your blogging again. I love your posts, they are so inspiring!

Stacy said...

Merry Christams. What a special one it must have been. XOXO From Colorado

Haley Barton said...

Thanks so much for the post! I've been checking in periodically and was so glad to see that you've decided to blog again! Hope your Christmas was great-have a Happy New Year!

Shauna Quintero said...

Merry Christmas!

And he is a miracle, in deed!

Jennifer Quinn said...

Merry Christmas and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Sara, we have not met, but I followed your story along with hundreds and thousands of people.

I have been so touched and moved by your story.

I have 5 children and 2 grandchildren (1 more due any day!). So grateful to see that you are loving life fully with your boys. :-)

Reminds me of a bog post I write a while back -- http://goo.gl/TDQW9

Hope you the most wonderful year in 2011!!!

<3 Jennifer

Jenn Granum said...

Your boys are all so handsome and grown up! Can't wait to see your Christmas card! I'll get your number from Jane and text my address to you. Can't figure out how to send it over the internet without a million people having access to it! :) Merry, Merry Christmas!

The Haley Family said...

my dear Sara! I LOVE your card and it made me cry! Your miracle year is so special and I'm so glad to have you as my friend! I wish we were closer, I know our boys would be great friends too! I'm so that you are THERE TOGETHER, there is nothing better! *hugs* Ali

Sue said...

Welcome back! It was so great to have lunch together last week. Even though we are shameful photographers and forgot to take a picture, again.

I love the Christmas card and smile each time I look at the boys sleeping, thinking about all the time it took to get just the right shot (thank you, Photoshop!) Love you!