Saturday, March 15, 2008

My poor little Dayne is a sicky... soooo sicky. Sickest he's ever been. (Just a really bad cold, he's not dying, just sooo miserable!)

I thought about taking a photo, but it really is too pathetic. His beautiful, bright brown eyes are droopy and bleary... His nose runs unstoppably and is raw, despite my gentlest attempts at wiping... His face and cheeks are red and chapped from the constant smear of snot he wipes every which way in frustration... He has no energy, but can't sleep, or even eat for that matter... His wet, hacky cough and miserable little wimper echo throughout his restless non-sleep... poor kid! It's breaking my heart!
The worst part is, I feel so helpless! I am sure there is very good reason for having recently banned all the infant cold medication, but it was a cruel, cruel thing to have not replaced it with anything remotely helpful. I called the Pediatrician's Office yesterday (after his poor cheek was CRUSTED to the sheet in his crib... literally!) and asked what I could safely give him. Tylenol (not helpful) and Benadryl (as in, just the plain allergy type-antihistamine). They reiterated the absolute importance of not giving any type of cough suppressant or expectorant, or any cold medication with a nasal decongestant or antihistamine to any child under age 2. SO what do I do with my miserable 11 month old? Said we'd just have to "wait it out". In the meantime, they "helpfully" suggested hot baths/showers, a humidifier (both of which we were already using, pretty much ineffectively), and saline nasal drops... fun. Do these people have children?

8 comments:

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

Poor Dayne! We have always had better luck with Motrin vs. Tylenol. It won't help with the congestion but maybe it will cut down on his pain level :(
I hope he gets feeling better soon!

MiNdY said...

:( He's too sweet to be sick! It breaks my heart too!!

Jenn Granum said...

Sorry about your baby! I really don't give my kids anyway. Can you go to Hawaii now? That always cures my kids! If not, you can always use Aquaphore under his nose and on his cheeks. Once in the morning and once at night. ALWAYS helps. Loves and Hugs is the best medicine!

{jane} said...

so sorry Dayne's sick. Sela's nose/congestion has been just about what you described. She always has the snot/crusties all over her face/hair after she's been sleeping. I have always used mentholatum on my kids noses when I am wiping them a lot and it at least helps prevent the chappiness/redness that wiping so much can cause... maybe you can try it.

jenn said...

Hi Sara! Fun to hear from you on my blog!

So sorry to hear that your little one is sick. It is the worst. Really, is it Spring yet? I'm so ready to be done.

What adorable boys you have! Congratulations on your baby on the way too. Fun!

Eleyna Julia said...

So sad! I hate having a sick baby. We spent almost the entire month of February at home with a sick little Hunter and it is miserable. I hope Daynen gets better soon!

Brandy said...

Hi Sara-
It seriously stinks when your kids are sick my Camryn has mono that is now going on for about 4 months and the past 2 weeks she had a BAD kidney infection which we barely missed going to the hospital for, it is not fun for Mom when kids are sick. Hang in there, the warm weather that is suppose to be coming should help! So good to hear from you! Your boys are darling.

meg said...

I hope you're all feeling better by now! It's no fun to be so sick. :( I totally rememeber snot stuck to the face and sheets! Get better!